Poll

What should Wes Craven's estate do with the series?

Make another film in the original continuity starring Robert Englund!
11 (50%)
Reboot the series again with new actors and a new continuity!
4 (18.2%)
Some form of "vs." sequel with another horror icon!
0 (0%)
Leave it alone; the series has run its course!
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: The Future of Elm Street  (Read 16552 times)

Billy

• View Profile
When the world isn’t the same as our minds believe, then we are in a nightmare, and nothing is worse than a nightmare, except one you can’t wake up from”- Werewolf

Bdoll41

• View Profile
Re: The Future of Elm Street
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2022, 08:31:24 AM »
Honestly, I'd have to say I think of myself as the franchise biggest fan. I know we all say this, but truly I believe that a good portion of any new nightmare on elm street movie should come from the fans. That can range as small as the basic concept to possibly a fan written script. I know Hollywood is not into unsolicited scripts and there could cause legal issues if the contracts don't have all their P's and Q's signed right.studios won't even look at unsolicited scripts either which is a little frustrating because there have been some very good concepts on these forums that could work. Just because a person has never written a script, directed a movie, or even been to Hollywood doesn't mean there isn't a diamond in the rough. Let's face it, everyone is the movie business was once unknown and it took just one chance to create movie history. That being said, I have watched the nightmare films my whole life. I was 3 years old when the original came out and began watching the franchise when I was four. It has taken many twists and turns and never got old because each film effectively pulled skeletons out of the closet one by one with each movie while staying relevant to the time period the movie was made. You learned something new in each film and we're left with slight Easter eggs each time. I have read for the past 19 years since the last Freddy film was released that put Robert Englund as the villain article after article hoping for news of a new film. Ideas have been tossed around and scripts have been written only to be shelved. So after almost two decades of waiting, I decided that if you want something done right, do it yourself. At the beginning of this year I started writing concepts of my own. Coming up on 2023 I knew it had to be soon for another film. A franchise like this shouldn't rise from the grave on an odd year or a year of no significance. I started thinking, and tossing ideas back and forth. How can this epic franchise return without jumping the shark, pissing off fans, or leaving a dark stain of Wes Cravens legacy? So it hit me. The next film should be released on in 2023 on the twenty year anniversary. That got me going, so I did write a script that seemed fitting, until I realized how cheesy it was. Then I tossed my composition notebook and started from scratch. From scratch, the beginning, was what was missing, and a conclusion was necessary as well seeing as how at the end of Freddy vs Jason, Jason walks out with Freddy's head which winks, signifying he was not dead. However, in the reboot in 2010 with another actor playing the iconic character nightmares are made of, it did not sit well with fans. The backstory was twisted up as if Freddy was a victim and the town may have murdered an innocent man. Rule number one in remakes and reboots, don't screw with the original. That does not mean, however, that some of the elements weren't partially on point. Yes, Freddy murdered children and was let off on a technicality, this angering the parents to kill him. However, in the series first episode of Freddy's nightmares which follows the case, blunders, and murder of Freddy Krueger, the rookie cop who almost saved Freddy brought a good point. That wasn't justice in the right way even though he did deserve punishment, which catapulted Freddy to accept the dream demons offer and take revenge on the parents who killed them by killing their kids in their sleep, igniting a story that has spanned almost 4 decades and countless efforts to kill Freddy for good. The idea painted Freddy as born and bread to be a serial killer because how he was concieved and his abusive upbringing and touches on ideas from criminal profiling as to what makes a serial killer. So I wrote two scripts, a two part finale to the franchise. The first being a prequel, the second being a conclusion. The first again being on the twenty year anniversary of the last film which is in 2023, and.....wait for it, the following film to be released in 2024 on the 40 year anniversary of the first film. This would also make film 9 and 10......never sleep again. Robert Englund himself has expressed coming back as a cameo due to he's 74 and the make up sessions and stunts he feel he is too old for and he knows if he plays Freddy one more time the fans will want more. Now, that man can do anything, but he has a slight point. That is why there will have to be a conclusion to end Freddy for good. Not saying that will end the franchise, because any villain who is given a job by dream demons to kill for their souls can be fired and another villain hired, which opens up a whole new world to continue the basic principle of the franchise. So between both films, a prequel that has no makeup or stunts and a conclusion that kills Freddy for good, Robert Englund would be safe to play the role one more time which will tribute Wes craven and the man who brought Freddy to life, Robert Englund. Anyone else playing the slasher villain to the very end would be catastrophic. So through the series his backstory has been touched upon, and I've written a prequel that continues those already existing storyline but I also added to it to fill a whole film while staying true to the brand and answering some long awaited questions. It will put a slight psychological effect to the story, which starts with the very graphic rape scene of Amanda Krueger and him being given up for adoption at less than a month old. This is where the filling begins. Freddy won't have it all bad a first, which will have to questioning what made him grow up to kill kids. Not just anyone, but kids, which victims are chosen by killers for a reason and I explain throughout the prequel the reasoning to not only his choice of victim, but to his choice of weapon and how Freddy himself came up with it and how the Fedora hat came into play he is known for and some other questions. After he's adopted, his first 10 years are good, with a loving mother and hard working father, that is until an accident cripples his father, he takes to drugs and alcohol, and begins to unleash his rage on Freddy. His mother tries to protect Freddy which gets her killed. His father then forces Freddy to help him dispose of her body by cutting it up and setting it ablaze in their back yard. That was the end to Freddy's loving home, which was replaced with constant abuse and no one to save him. That builds the hate inside him because no one was there to save him and he ends up killing his father when he was just 16. Freddy finally feels powerful and in control and immediately goes for another kill outside a bar, but he gets his ass kicked because his target was a big biker guy that was far stronger than him. He then gives up, goes in the bar for a drink and encounters a strange man. Now in Greek mythology, Hypnos is the god of dreams who had 3 sons. These are the previously talked about dream demons. The most powerful being Morpheus, who takes on human male form. The is who Freddy meets, gets drunk with, and ultimately after many drinks Freddy confesses his dirty deed not caring of the outcome. Morpheus is looking for a truly evil soul, but they have to become that way on their own with free will. So he tells Freddy that first off, he needed weaker victims, children. Second, he could put the murder of his father behind him and live a happy life or he can give into his demons to become powerful. Thinking of his mom, he chooses to be good, until his wife years later becomes pregnant and that darkness inside him stirs. He doesn't want to one day in a fit of rage kill his own daughter, so on the night of her birth, he leaves the hospital to kill his first child to suppress the monster inside so he won't harm his own flesh and blood. But he keeps killing, eventually also killing his wife after she discovered his secret basement room and his daughter promises not to tell even though she does, leading to his arrest and her adoption. The rest will be a retelling of the original backstory. The conclusion will jump forward to the present after in Springwood after the epic battle of camp crystal lake. The first half will follow the new generation of Elm street teens and introduce a newcomer from new Orleans with a YouTube channel on the unexplained and paranormal who's tag name is Dreamcatcher. She starts to dig into the towns history with the teens telling a vague description of an urban legend of the towns Boogeyman. After nightmare 5, the dream child and Freddy's dead the final nightmare, there is no where are they now as far as his daughter or Alice who over the years but Freddy behind them in Alice's case and his daughter staying behind to protect the people of Springwood after she kills her father. Now Freddy always aimed at no survivors, so after Dreamcatcher digs too much and brings Freddy back and makes a big mistake telling of Freddy on her YouTube channel which is global, the three have to enter the dream one last time for one last showdown. With dreams being dreams, anything is possible, and they are able to reach the first teen to ever face Freddy, Nancy. They all must put their power together to end him once and for all, which they know will take more than them. It will take having to wake the three who gave Freddy his power from the start, the three son's of hypnos. Once Freddy sees year later the man from the bar and starts to put things together, it will prove to be an epic showdown with the end showing the three demons choosing their next candidate to continue fetching them souls. With a true beginning, finally after almost 40 years, and a reprisal of Robert Englund as Freddy in one last nightmare that leads to endless possibilities, this is how it seems the legacy of Freddy should continue and we'll continue to never sleep again.

S-10

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2023, 05:24:29 AM »
Word has it a secret bidding war happened back in June and Blumhouse was the winner. We'll see how this pans out.

Elm Street Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2023, 05:16:24 PM »
My biggest fear is they hop on the streaming bandwagon and turn it into a series. I could only see it working if they did like in Freddy's Nightmares and make the stories detached from Freddy for the most part or keep his inclusion minimal and special. Movies are where it's at for me at least.

Billy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2023, 09:00:03 PM »
My biggest fear is they hop on the streaming bandwagon and turn it into a series. I could only see it working if they did like in Freddy's Nightmares and make the stories detached from Freddy for the most part or keep his inclusion minimal and special. Movies are where it's at for me at least.
I disagree. I think Freddy’s Nightmares would’ve been a huge success if every episode was about Freddy, if the episodes were based on the movies. That’s not to say it was a flop: I think the series had some great episodes, and some were actually very graphic!😳But I think most Nightmare fans (myself included) probably didn’t want to see random characters in the series suffering some sort of mishap or trauma in Springwood. The hardcore Nightmare fans would’ve wanted to see all the episodes involving Freddy, him going after teenagers in their dreams, figuring out a way how to destroy him. I know it becomes tedious when you constantly have the same storyline every episode, but I think New Line could’ve worked around it. That’s just my opinion.
When the world isn’t the same as our minds believe, then we are in a nightmare, and nothing is worse than a nightmare, except one you can’t wake up from”- Werewolf