Poll

What should Wes Craven's estate do with the series?

Make another film in the original continuity starring Robert Englund!
11 (50%)
Reboot the series again with new actors and a new continuity!
4 (18.2%)
Some form of "vs." sequel with another horror icon!
0 (0%)
Leave it alone; the series has run its course!
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: The Future of Elm Street  (Read 16656 times)

Rod Lane

• View Profile
Re: The Future of Elm Street
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 07:49:37 PM »
That wasn't too shabby.  8)

Billy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 08:22:22 AM »
Alice and Jacob live their lives in modern day 2025. Krueger has been ‘he who shall not be named’ since 1989. For Jacob’s entire life, he’s taken pills to keep him healthy. He thinks they’re vitamins, heart arrhythmia pills or something, but they’re a new form of Hypnocil. Only he and his mother are prescribed them, only Alice and the pharmacist know why.

Jacob (36) is a young father now of two kids named Rick (15) and Kristen (16), with a wife named Sarah, his high school sweetheart. Through some unfortunate circumstance, Jacob, forgets to pick up his prescription, runs out of pills and misses a day. Nothing seems to go awry, despite his anxieties. Until that night. He has his first Freddy dream. Krueger is older, grittier. Without the souls of the Elm Street teens, Freddy has aged, and is near spiritual death. This reveals his status as a dream demon being a curse he wished for in purgatory that was granted, so long as he continued to kill his victims. And now, 32 years later, He’s in his seventies and waning miserably in solitude.

Jacob wakes up, never knowing who the man was or why he instinctively ran from him. Later, he tells Sarah about his dream. They collectively shrug it off, Sarah casually mentioning a dream monster her dad told her about when she was young.

The next night, he has the dream again, this time with Krueger getting a rare early-upper hand. Just before he gets killed, Jacob wakes. There’s a POV shot of someone coming from the basement, through the living room, up the stairs, down the hall and into the master bedroom. Only Sarah lies there. A claw bursts into the shot and brutally slashes Sarah, leaving her to bleed out on the bed. Ala Elm Street 2, it cuts to Jacob, holding a claw, and screaming.

After being arrested on charges of murdering his wife, his mother visits him in a maximum security prison. Alice says she knows what caused this and apologizes to Jacob. She tells him his father didn’t just die in a car accident and his grandfather didn’t merely die in his sleep. She then proceeds to tell the tale of Fred Krueger, naming her and Jacob as the final links to the original parents on Elm Street who tracked Krueger down. Alice reveals the way to finally kill Freddy: “he dies when we die. We take him to our graves.” Similar to Freddy vs Jason, he lives by being spoken of, thriving on the fear he elicits. Only Jacob and Alice know he exists anymore, after all records and accounts of Krueger have been wiped away. So at this point, Freddy existing is a Mandela Effect to the rest of the world who think of a Dreamscape copycat killer. Only Alice and Jacob know of a real serial killer from the late 70’s-mid 80’s. Alice leaves a fresh prescription of Hypnocil for her son before leaving.

That night at home, Alice begins to feel tired. Her bottle of pills magically rolls out of the medicine cabinet, onto the floor, and behind the sink. When she looks for her pills, they’re gone. She panics, knowing she cannot sleep. Frightened, she hurries to her son’s home to make sure his children are okay. On the way, she visualizes the pharmacist’s death at the hands of Krueger. She narrowly escapes death as her car rolls off the road.

In jail, a disgusted guard refuses to allow Jacob his meds for the night. Jacob falls asleep terrified.

Kristen is asleep when Alice arrives. Their aunt Yvonne is watching them and worried about Alice coming around during this time. She’s in on keeping Krueger mum as well.

Jacob, possessing all of his mother’s dream powers, enter’s Kristen’s dream. Alice is there, protecting her. Krueger arrives, now terrorizing Jacob’s daughter, Alice’s granddaughter. The nightmare ends with all three waking up in a panic, but alive. Alice and Kristen go to check on Rick and find Yvonne dead with those 4 familiar claw-marks, and Rick soundly asleep.

From this point the rest of the film is about Jacob bringing on all new killings from his prison cell, with Freddy infecting the dreams of his daughter through him. Kristen’s teenage friends die through their dreams when she tells 3 of them about a nightmare disregarding what Alice told her. Freddy gets more and more powerful, with dreams becoming further and further indecipherable from reality (new CGI). Alice stops taking Hypnocil in an attempt to protect her grandchildren in their dreams as CPS tries to take them away from her custody. While Alice forces Hypnocil on the children, the pills are ineffective with Jacob’s dreams being Freddy’s entry point. Freddy always spares his life and Jacob never speaks of the terrors he sees in dreams to ensure it doesn’t spread.

Authorities eventually place Alice visiting her son in prison, as well as on the scene of the crime in Yvonne’s murder. A manhunt begins in search of Alice for connections to the grisly deaths. Kristen and Rick are left to fend for themselves.

Jacob eventually escapes from prison by weaponizing Freddy on a guard. He makes his way to Springwood, dramatically reuniting with what’s left of his family. By the time he gets home, the manhunt has extended for him and his mom. Jacob, Alice, Rick and Kristen all end up together, barricaded in Alice’s home. The police, news, and angry parents are all outside attempting to bring the two ‘murderers’ to justice before they kill their own grandchildren.

In a final dream battle, Jacob is killed when Freddy no longer needs him. Alice is soon follow. Kristen sees Freddy going for her younger brother and distracts him by pretending to accept his offer to “kill for him”. She claws Freddy to death before clawing herself. Rick sees his sister claw herself, doesn’t know what to make of this, and forces himself to wake up. He has a dream power. He awakens to find his grandmother and father dead on the floor. His sister is bleeding out on the floor. Before Kristen dies, she tells her brother “Don’t be afraid of your dreams!” The very idea of Freddy dies with Kristen. In a way, Alice and Jacob have succeeded in taking him to their graves, but at a huge cost.

Before any evidence is discovered, a newscaster accidentally starts a fire to the home and it engulfs into flames, burning everybody inside, including Rick, while the cameras and authorities watch on.

10 years later, a new killer emerges, exacting revenge on the people of Springwood for killing him: Rick Jordan.

First time writing Elm Street fanfic, and it shows. Haha, but yes, if they continue the story, they can begin anew with an inhabitant of the original Elm Street teens taking over the role of dream demon. The twist is he had no clue about who Freddy was because no one around him wanted him to know. His ascension to demon coincides with resentment of the police and the townspeople who watched him burn to death. This effectively ends Freddy as a character, begins the series anew with a different killer, a different mythology, and so many places to go. I figure it references the original films, while also avoiding being a straight retelling and redoing of popular scenes from the 1984 original. Freddy goes out on a final high note, using practical effects in earlier dreams and state of the art CGI in the later dreams which depict him as younger, stronger and more gruesome than ever.

Final kill count would be 10, which is also the entry in the series if you count the 2010 remake.
Not bad, I don’t mind it.
When the world isn’t the same as our minds believe, then we are in a nightmare, and nothing is worse than a nightmare, except one you can’t wake up from”- Werewolf

Itsadoor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 07:55:58 PM »
Thank you, both!  :D

Ricky

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 07:16:52 AM »
My stance on this has changed a bit. I think if they can do one last movie with Robert, they absolutely should. There's really no reason not to attempt it.

As for going forward after that...I don't know.

Elliott

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 09:47:19 PM »
I'd love for there to be one last film with Robert and Heather again, especially since both of them seem to want to do it. But if it doesn't happen, I'm fine with the series being as it is.

Ominous1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 06:49:01 PM »
I voted for choice #1, but I have no particular hope we will get a Freddy flick in the next few years. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if Jason made it back to the screen first, despite being in a worse place (the courtroom) than development hell.

Have either of the Craven children even made a public statement about the future of the franchise? The idea that they have any interest in getting a film made is starting to feel like baseless assumption.
Formerly McDan.

"Oh yeahhh...GREAT to be back in business!"

Rod Lane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »
My stance on this has changed a bit. I think if they can do one last movie with Robert, they absolutely should. There's really no reason not to attempt it.

As for going forward after that...I don't know.

Agreed

Ricky

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 06:21:42 AM »
Have either of the Craven children even made a public statement about the future of the franchise? The idea that they have any interest in getting a film made is starting to feel like baseless assumption.

I haven't seen anything indicating they have plans for it, but I also haven't really actively looked for it.

NancyThompson1984

• "NANCY!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2020, 07:17:04 PM »
i say make another one but only if Robert play Krueger if he not then leave it alone. We already had one remake without Robert and sucked so damn  bad

Billy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2020, 10:58:19 PM »
i say make another one but only if Robert play Krueger if he not then leave it alone. We already had one remake without Robert and sucked so damn  bad
Yeah I pretty much agree. Would love to see Robert play Freddy one last time.

And on the remake, yes it did suck in most people’s eyes, but I still think it’s better than “Freddy’s Dead”, and probably “Dream Child”. Just my opinion.
When the world isn’t the same as our minds believe, then we are in a nightmare, and nothing is worse than a nightmare, except one you can’t wake up from”- Werewolf

OhBeefyBoyGod

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 03:30:34 PM »
I, personally, would really love to see the multiverse incorporated into the Elm Street series. I always considered the Freddy from the original movie to be a separate entity from the Freddy in the sequels anyway. Maybe use the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis as the McGuffin.  I could totally see Freddy chasing our protagonist(s) use the book to jump through alternate timelines, encountering different iterations of Freddy and saying howdy (and farewell) to some beloved Elm Street veterans. We could also see movies that never were.

Billy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2021, 04:18:37 AM »
Thought I should put this here. I hope it’s true, but it looks like a fan made poster.

Freddy Stueger

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2021, 11:00:27 AM »
I had an idea for something called "Freddy Krueger: The Bastard Son Of 100 Maniacs".
It would be set in present day and would acknowledge the original continuity. Therefore it would need to be Englund.

Basically a bullied kid finds a way to resurrect Krueger and manipulate him into doing his bidding. Using black magic I'm guessing. Krueger is furious because he isn't in control of himself and wants to break free.

The kids older sister sets out to stop him and is helped by the spirit of Nancy Thompson.

that's what I got.

Ricky

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2021, 06:43:00 AM »

I agree that if we can get a new one, I'd want Robert in but in fairness, the remake was awful but not because of a lack of Robert. It had a bad script, bad casting, bad effects. Even with Robert in there, it's still a bad movie.

Billy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2021, 08:29:07 PM »
It ain’t going to happen, unfortunately. I’ve been hearing about this for the last 3 years. I hope I’m wrong because I’d love to see at least 1 more Nightmare movie with Robert, but I don’t think it’ll happen.😢