Author Topic: Marge Thompson the penultimate victim?  (Read 780 times)

Fwanger

• View Profile
Marge Thompson the penultimate victim?
« on: October 13, 2023, 04:33:41 AM »
First off.  Hi everyone.  It's been a while.  Hope you are all okay.  I miss the days when this forum was hopping.  That said....

Watching the original today I thought of something.  Marge Thompson is the ultimate victim of the first film.  Imagine it....you kill a child murderer to protect your kid(s).  You lose your marriage, fall into drink from the guilt of killing someone (even justified as it was in Freddy's case), lose most of your lasting relationships and have a strained relationship with your family.  Your daughter starts exhibiting the traits of someone being stalked by the man you killed.  You fall deeper into the bottle in denial and a way to hide from the fear.  It gets worse, your daughter starts getting straight up attacked and names the man you killed as her attacker.  You still deny and fall deeper in drink.  But you secure the house as a precaution.  You go to bed and that night the very man you killed bursts into your room, on fire and makes a beeline for you and starts attacking you. 

Truly horrifying.  I never really gave Marge Thompson much thought aside from just another Elm Street vacancy parent.  Her arch in the first film is crazy when analyzed. 

Billy

• View Profile
Re: Marge Thompson the penultimate victim?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 07:53:39 AM »
I agree. I actually respect Marge a lot. I know most of the parents in the NOES films whose teenage kids are being stalked by Freddy in their sleep, are in denial that Freddy is haunting them, at least Marge kind of understands what Nancy is going through. Even though she clearly explains to her that that’s not reality, someone trying to kill you in your dreams, she knows that something is going on, she kind of shows her compassion. Obviously when she takes Nancy down to the cellar, and tells her who Freddy was, she knows her daughter is not crazy. And there’s also a deleted scene when she’s talking with Don at Rod’s funeral, and tells him, “this reminds me too much of 10 years ago”.
When the world isn’t the same as our minds believe, then we are in a nightmare, and nothing is worse than a nightmare, except one you can’t wake up from”- Werewolf

agencyclearly

• View Profile
Re: Marge Thompson the penultimate victim?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 07:20:32 PM »
I think the movie has crazy details. The psychological developments of the characters kept me drawn in.